Roles & Responsibilities
The involvement of parents is essential to the smooth running of the club. IC Basketball Club is largely run entirely by unpaid volunteers, and your assistance is appreciated. We ask that you specifically note the following:
• All children under the age of 18 years must be supervised by an adult at training and games.
• Every family is expected to participate in training supervision and game day duties which include scoring and time keeping.
• Your team manager will prepare a roster for parent supervision at training session. Please ensure that you attend your rostered session or organise a replacement, as we require you to be on hand to assist the coach in the event of injury to a player or assist in disciplinary matters.
• Please do not leave players’ siblings unattended at training. Apart from distractions and potential damage to equipment, the HBA’s insurance policy, which covers the club’s players, does not cover non-players. Parents are strongly advised not to bring other children to training sessions, unless those children are happy to sit still, quietly. The club does not accept any responsibility for the control or safety of non-playing children or of players before and after training sessions.
• Please ensure that players are on time for training and especially for games. Points will be lost, or forfeits enforced by the referees, if a team has insufficient numbers. Make sure that your child has a water bottle. No sticky drinks and definitely no food.
• Please take your turn at scoring. Your team manager will prepare a roster for this duty. The score bench at each venue has information about scoring games, particularly timing rules. Information about Timing Rules can be found here:
Information about using Courtside Stadium Scoring can be found here:
• Please do not sit on the bench provided for the coach and players at games, even if it is empty.
• Do not “coach” players from the sidelines. This role is for the coach only. Directions from the sidelines, however well-intentioned, may only confuse players, and may contradict the coach’s instructions.
• Maintain a fair and sportsmanlike attitude during games. In particular, please respect the referees and be a role model for your children. Please refer to the Spectators Code of Conduct prepared by the HBA. Parents who do not follow the code of conduct will be asked to leave the stadium and may become ineligible to attend matches.